Thursday, March 6, 2008

Hopefully my good and bad luck transfers to NPNs

Don't get me wrong, I've had good luch with packs and boxes of cards. But then again, I've had monsterous luck as well with card collecting.

Back in the early 80's, I was lucky enough to spend my allowance on cards from the 50's and 60's from the local comic book store for $5 or less. Something I wish I had done more of.

Back in 92, I bought four packs of SP Baseball searching for the elusive Griffey die-cut. Found it in the last pack. But 10 years after, found a Jeter rookie from the same packs. That's decent.

I even put down about $120 on a box of UD Masterpiece last year. Pulled a Papelbon auto, a couple decent jerseys and a nice black printing plate of the Junior Griffey. Not too shabby.

But I've also paid for some real stinkers.

That's why I hope this hobby pays off. I consider it a hobby, because instead of having to remember the names of players, I have to keep track of contests. If, God forbid, I do actually get any cards, they will go toward my other hobby - collecting.

I'll still buy cards. Though it is a little tough. Living in a small rural community, the availability of cards is pretty slim. Wal-Mart is the only game in this town. An occasional trip to bigger cities doesn't offer much in return as most open boxes are already picked beyond reason.

So far, nothing has come in, but I'm still hopeful. If they never come in, it wasn't a total loss. I buy lotto tickets when the jackpot hits a high level, but I've never won that either. $1 for a ticket vs. 41 cents for a stamp? I think I can manage that.

No comments: